2013-10-03

My Green October : Day 3

IMG_3395

IMG_3397

IMG_3396

IMG_3399

Hi again everyone!

For my third day of my healthy and green month eating only vegetarian and vegan dishes, I wanted to tell you a little about sprouting! I have seriously no green fingers whatsoever (in other words: all flowers I touch dies. It's a fact. That's why cactuses and I are the best of friends as long as they keep their spikes out of my fingers...) but sprouting in glass jars is actually super easy! I decided to sprout some alfalfa seeds and mung beans this time, because they are easy and full of proteins and energy. There are tons of instructions online, but I'll focus on the mung beans and here goes the general idea:

Sprouting Greens

Rinse 1 dl dry mung beans in water and put them in a 1 l glass jar and cover them with water. Let them stay there for 8-12 hours preferably while you sleep or occupy yourself with other things. Then pour the water out, rinse the beans and  place a cloth over the jar. There are really cool jars that are made for sprouting, but I only use a large glass jar, a hair elastic and a kitchen towel and it works just as fine. Then you rinse the beans 2-3 times a day for about 4 days and put the jar upside down in between so that the water can fully run out. I like to place the jar in a dark room or a cabinet, since the sprouting goes faster then. The last day when you think the sprouts are big enough you put them in the sunlight for a few hours so they get nice and green! They last for about 4-5 days in the fridge but make sure to rinse them under cool water before eating them. Easy peasy! Oh, and make sure to shake the jar when you rinse the beans, so that you can discover if there's become any mould in there, you can tell if the sprouts smell all funny or disgusting. Some sprouts can look almost "furry", but that is not mould but the way some beans grow. It's all in Mother Nature's hands, so most of the time sprouting works just fine but you might have to be prepared that it won't turn out perfect all the times. Good luck!

2 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

Du är så duktig! Och de blir så smarriga! Mina hade nog vissnat bort...

Ulvadotter sa...

Tack! Mina mungbönegroddar dog dock, mögel... :/ men alfalfagroddarna är massa smarriga!